Paris is always a good idea they say. When we reached the city it overwhelmed us, with the beauty, technology, people & the sheer beauty! We wanted to roam the entire city, but you can’t in two days. So we rounded up the top things to do in Paris here:
1) Eiffel Tower: Paris is defined by this architectural marvel. One can’t think about Paris without imagining about the Eiffel Tower. Which is why, one of the top things to do in Paris is to see the Eiffel Tower. If you’re going in the peak season, make sure to book your tickets to the top of the Eiffel tower really early. Otherwise, you might have to pay as much as 100 Euros for going to the top. Book your tickets here: http://www.toureiffel.paris/en/preparing-your-visit/buying-your-tickets Also, don’t miss this beauty twinkling in the night! The Eiffel tower lights up with glittery lights twice a night. We were there for both. Its an inexplicable feeling to see marvel light up!
Vagabond Tip: Visit the Eiffel Tower during the evening when the sun is setting. So that you can click pictures & also be just in time to watch this beauty light up at night!
2) The Louvre: Every art enthusiast knows, how important the Louvre is in the Art era. This is one of the best museums we have ever seen. Spread across 675,000 square feet & with works from almost every civilisation on earth, the Louvre is surely one of the Best Things to do in Paris! The most prized possession here is the Mona Lisa by Leonardo Da Vinci, though in our view there’s so many more artefacts & paintings here that blew our mind away!
Vagabond Tip: Buy the tickets online prior to your visit! We saw a line that went on for blocks, just to buy the ticket.
3) Shakespeare & Company: If you’re a bibliophile like us, please do visit this charming little bookstore. You can see why this place is so famous right from outside. To the cutesy little bench outside to the Cafe ( which we unfortunately couldn’t visit ), this place is right out of a storybook! There’s a hole in the floor donation box, where you can contribute to the writers of this place. You shouldn’t miss visiting this cafe when you’re in Paris!
Vagabond Tip: Visit the bookstore before 7 pm, when the cafe is still open.
4) Arc De Triomphe: If there’s any monument that defines Paris as well as the Eiffel Tower, it has to be Arc De Triomphe. Easily one of the Top things to do in Paris because of the monumental place this architectural marvel holds in history. Arc De Triomphe honours those who lost their lives in the French Revolution & Napoleon Wars. Walking up to this monument also makes for a fabulous walk through the high end fashion stores of Paris. When we visited, it was raining cats & Dogs, but if it’s not, make sure to go inside the Arc De Triomphe, though the 284 steps seem a lot, but it’s nothing for the best views of Paris that you will get from the top!
Vagabond Tip: Don’t miss climbing the stairs inside the monument to go to the top for the Best views of Paris!
5) Pere Lechaise Cemetry: You must be wondering why is a cemetery on the top things to do in Paris list? Well, the lead of The Doors, Jim Morisson is buried here. For us Doors fanatics, we had to go here, even though it was raining like mad & we had to take the train to Lyon! The faithful fans in us couldn’t miss this. This might be the biggest graveyard we have ever seen & also the most famous. We saw many lonesome couples like us walking the lanes inside the graveyard in search of Jim Morisson’s grave. We walked around 20 minutes in the cemetery itself to reach the spot! It was a beautiful experience but. His stone bears the inscription “Kata Ton Aimona Eaytoy”, which means “ According to his own demon” or “ True to his own spirit”. Giving homage to this great artist brought a sense of peace inside our souls.
Vagabond Tip: Make sure to glance at the map before entering the cemetery, otherwise it’s very easy to get lost here. And who wants to get lost in a graveyard!
So, there it is guys, the Top 5 things to do in Paris! Of course, the list can be never ending, but will devote time to writing that one some other time.
Here are the Top things to do in Rome! Check it out.